Current Favorite Books

If you are looking for a new read, here are some of my favorites! I'll try to include a variety of genres.

Stormrise

Amazon.com: Stormrise (9781250298881): Boehme, Jillian: Books

Stormrise was a random library find...And oh man, am I glad I randomly checked out this book! I couldn't stop thinking about this book for weeks after finishing it and it's become one of my top favorites! Before I finished the last chapter, I had practically already purchased the book online so I could have my own copy. This book is for a young adult audience and has so many interesting themes combined together in an epic Mulan-reminiscent story. And look at the amazing dragon cover. The book left me feeling uplifted, thoughtful, and inspired. It left me seeing the magic a little more in the world around me. If you like books with strong female characters (and males too!), nature, romance, survival, war, defying odds, strong positive messages, strong positive relationships, dragons, fantasy, or if you like books period...I'd recommend trying this book!

Howl's Moving Castle



 
I've included two different covers, in hopes that one will pique your interest! Because this is one of my all time favorite books- and has been since I was in 6th or 7th grade. The mass media paperback cover (on the right) is very nostalgic for me, since it was my first copy. But the newer cover on the left is also quite fun and lively! These covers give you a glimpse of the whimsical tale inside! Howl's Moving Castle is a magical story that starts out somewhat slow and relaxing, and by the end is flying by faster than you can keep up with! It sucks you into a magical whirlwind that gets faster and faster until suddenly it spits you out and you realize you finished the book. It's a relaxing and exhilarating ride every time! The characters are very intriguing and there are many pieces that don't quite come together until the end of the story. When everything finally resolves itself, the book ends, and you are left thinking, "What? It's over?!" At that point, if you're like me, you re-read the best parts several times until you are thoroughly satisfied and feel like you finally figured out what just happened.

The book is about Sophie, a young woman who is transformed into an old woman, and then begins a remarkable journey to find herself. Howl is an intriguing character who appears rather heartless at times, yet at other times does incredibly kind things for no apparent reason (except out of the goodness of his heart?). Calcifer is a fire demon with a secret. Each character is intriguing because they are all imperfect and have flaws, yet these imperfections make them more real and interesting. Like I said, this is one of my all-time favorite books! Give it a try! (Yes, there was a major motion picture based off of this book, but the book is very different and absolutely worth reading!)

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

  Listen to Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of ...

I like this book. Ever since I read it a year or so ago, I've honestly been much better about keeping my house tidy! The most important thing is that now I consciously make our home into a place that sparks joy for us! Like displaying books in our room, and getting rid of clutter that kept us from enjoying doing things we love together! Marie Kondo has become popular worldwide, and it's likely because of her cheerful, encouraging, cute personality and the fact that her method is simple, do-able, and works! If you're wanting to declutter your home and life and create a home that truly sparks joy for you, try out The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up! I'm a big fan!

Stargazing 

Picture

I loved this graphic novel by Jen Wang. It is a juvenile fiction and I think it would be a great book for kids (8-10ish or older), teens, and adults! I thought it was a beautiful, touching, and very real story. It left me feeling very uplifted and satisfied, and was a relaxing 1-2 hour leisure read! You know the books that just leave your heart feeling warm, content, and inspired? This graphic novel was one of those for me.

The story is about Christine and Moon, two young girls who form a beautiful friendship. But their friendship doesn't go perfectly smoothly. The bumps along the road they experience, as well as how they learn to deal with a range of challenges (from jealousy, personality conflicts, insecurity, parents' expectations, and even financial and medical challenges), make the story beautiful and meaningful.

I'd definitely recommend this one!

Prairie Lotus 

Prairie Lotus by Linda Sue Park

Prairie Lotus is my current read. And I can already tell I'm really going to like it. This is a beautiful story about a girl named Hanna, born in the U.S., yet not accepted because she is half Chinese. I love the way I've heard others describe this book as "Little House on the Prairie for the rest of the world." The story takes place on the American frontier and explores themes like prejudice, racism, determination, and more. Hanna dreams of becoming a dress maker and going to school, but many obstacles stand in her way, simply because of the way she looks. I haven't finished this one yet, but the story is already beautiful.

Anthem

Anthem: Ayn Rand: 9780451191137: Amazon.com: Books

Anthem was first written by Ayn Rand in 1937 and was published in England, but was refused publication in America until about ten years later. It is referred to as a prose poem or even a hymn. Anthem is the story of a man who rediscovers individualism in a dystopian world completely focused on collectivism. I first read this book in the 6th or 7th grade, and it has stayed in my mind ever since. A year or so ago I picked it up at a thrift shop and have read it again several times since. It's a powerful and intriguing book.

This book teaches me about the unconquerable spirit of men and women. And I can almost guarantee this book will get you thinking. 

Almost American Girl

Amazon.com: Almost American Girl: An Illustrated Memoir ...

This is a beautiful graphic novel. I love how genuine it is. It is a memoire of the author's, Robin's, experiences moving from Korea to the U.S. as a young person.

I don't want to spoil it, so I'll just say that she has a pretty traumatic move.
This novel is all about the difficulties, successes, heart-breaks, and joys of moving from Korea to America at that age. She hardly knew English, and it took a long time for her to make any real friends. She was treated cruelly by some of her peers. This book also dives into some of the struggles she faced not only with American culture, but also with Korean culture. The novel beautifully addresses the issue of not quite "fitting in" in either place- she felt like she didn't really fit in in America or Korea. She had to learn to define herself and embrace her unique situation.

The story is beautiful and I think it's really important for everyone to become more familiar with the issues addressed in this book.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear what your current favorite books are in the comments! 

Comments

Popular Posts